When Jeff and I were dating, we used to love to go to California Pizza Kitchen for their Barbecue Chicken Pizza. When we got older and started cooking on our own, it became our mission to make the best and closest copy at our own home. Now, this pizza is something we make at least once a month, and probably more like once every two weeks. In fact, when I told Jeff I wanted to blog about it, he was so sure that I already had that I had to do a search on my own blog! Like I thought, it wasn’t there, but I’m happy to be sharing the recipe with you now because it’s that good!
There’s just something comforting about BBQ chicken pizza–it tastes like it should be horrible for you, but if you use the right ingredients, it can be a pretty decent meal. We like to use Trader Joe’s barbecue sauce because it actually has real ingredients in it and not all of that processed sugar, but use what you like best. Also, I think the cilantro is the icing on the cake, but I would put cilantro on pretty much everything if I had the choice!
We used our standard pizza dough recipe (below), but you could also use a pre-made one as well. We love the Trader Joe’s dough when we’re feeling lazy!
Pizza Dough Recipe:
- 1 cup water
- 1 package (1/4 oz.) of active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- Measure one cup of warm water (approx. 110 degrees)
- Transfer water to medium size bowl
- Rehydrate yeast by sprinkling it into the warm water for 5 minutes. Stir to dissolve yeast.
- Add first two tablespoons of olive oil, sugar, and salt to the yeast mixture.
- Mix in 2 cups of flour
- Turn out the dough onto a clean, well-floured surface
- Knead the dough for 5-10 minutes until no longer sticky. Add more flour as necessary while you knead
- Transfer the kneaded dough into a bowl with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Cover with a moist cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled (about 2 hours).
- Punch down and form a tight ball. Allow the dough to rest for 15 minutes before rolling out.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Let dough rise for another 15 minutes before applying toppings.
Barbecue Chicken Pizza Recipe:
Makes 4 servings
Pizza dough (see above), rolled out to about 18 inches in diameter
1 chicken breast
1 cup mozzarella cheese, packed
1/2 cup Trader Joe’s barbecue sauce
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro
1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Pepper
Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
Heat olive oil in a small frying pan over medium heat.
In a small bowl, combine paprika, pepper, salt to form a rub.
Coat chicken breast with rub and place in frying pan. Sear chicken on both sides, remove and cut into strips, then place back in frying pan. Fry until cooked all the way through, about 2-3 minutes. Remove chicken and chop.
Place pizza dough on a large baking sheet or pizza stone. Coat with barbecue sauce then add cheese, red onion, and chicken.
Place in oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted and crust has slightly browned.
Top with cilantro, slice, and enjoy!